The name of the organization is the “Western Pack Burro Ass-ociation” (WPBA).
The purposes of the organization is to promote the donkey breed as part of our family and to foster fellowship and sportsmanship among members through social activities, sports activities, education, and promotion of the donkey breed.
1. Membership is open to anyone, especially all donkey enthusiasts, donkey racers, donkey breeders, and donkey owners.
2. Membership year is from annual meeting to annual meeting. Membership fees are due on an annual basis. Members need to join prior to the start of the annual banquet to receive benefits and voting privileges at the annual meeting. Memberships shall comprise of Individual and Family Memberships:
a. Individual Membership ($35.00 annually) and includes:
2. One meal at the annual banquet
3. One WPBA gift
4. One vote at all voting opportunities
b. Family Membership ($60.00 annually) and includes:
vi. Two meals at the annual banquet
vii. Two WPBA gifts
viii. Two votes at all voting opportunities
ix. (A Family Membership constitutes all people living in one household together)
3. Any individual or family whose dues are not paid prior to the start of the annual meeting at the annual banquet shall cease to be a member and shall forfeit all claims they may have as a member.
4. Any member may be expelled for cause, upon recommendation of two thirds of the Officers and Board members, and a majority vote of those members present at any given meeting.
5. No member shall be eligible to hold office in the WPBA unless a member in good standing (having paid dues).
6. Triple Crown: Please refer to Article XIII for all Triple Crown rules and prize qualifications.
1. The regular meeting/banquet shall be held annually with specific dates and locations to be announced. Special meetings may be announced at any time and all members notified by either e-mail or mail.
2. The President shall call the meeting to order 20 minutes after appointed time. A motion passed on 10/27/12 to implement and use Roberts Rules for meetings. In all meetings, the following order of business shall be observed:
- Membership attendance signed by membership
- Reading of Minutes
- Financial Report
- Report of Committees/Officers
- Election Committee/Secretary shall tally any votes and record them into the minutes.
- By-Law committee shall tally any votes for amendments to the by-laws.
- Sponsorship Committee
- President’s Report
- Vice President’s Report
- Unfinished business
- Public input-items not on the agenda
- Old Business
- New Business
- Call meeting to close.
3. It is understood that nothing concerning the activities of this WPBA shall be projected, as either policy, or action, or finance, without specific authorization by the Officers/Board of the WPBA.
4. Ten members present and voting shall constitute a quorum. In the event the WPBA shall disband for any reason, the Officers/Board shall have the authority to disburse the WPBA properties, and all monies derived from such property shall be donated to organizations or programs designed to promote, educate, or adopt donkeys. The decision will be made by the current Officers/Board, by vote. Each member in good standing will be emailed or mailed an explanation of this disbursement.
5. HAM operator’s meals are paid for by WPBA at the annual meeting/banquet.
1. Individual memberships constitute one adult vote. Family memberships constitute two votes.
2. Absentee voting shall be approved by WPBA proxy form delivered by sealed envelope via mail, as an email attachment, or hand delivered to the annual meeting with original signature (see proxy form).
3. On-line voting is an acceptable form of voting at the discretion of the WPBA Board.
*Voted and passed on 9/19/2020 with 48 members present in Frederick, Colorado after the race.
Article VI-Officers/Board of Directors (BOD)
1. The Officers of the WPBA shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Media/Public Relations. If positions cannot be filled, then Officers shall be President, Vice-President, and Secretary/Treasurer.
2. The Committees of the WPBA shall be chosen as needed by the Officers.
3. The nomination of the Officers/Board shall be made from the members at the annual meeting and must be followed by a second.
4. A member cannot accept the nomination for more than one office.
5. No officer, individual, or committee shall render the WPBA liable for any amount of money exceeding the appropriation authorized by the WPBA. An Officer of the WPBA and the Treasurer must sign all checks. The WPBA shall maintain financial transparency to all members making all records available at all times and meetings. A receipt is required for any reimbursement.
6. Officer/Board members may be removed by a majority vote of the remaining Officers
7. A duly elected officer of the WPBA shall serve a two-year term (odd year elections). *
*Voted on and passed on 9/19/2020 with 48 members present at Frederick, Colorado after the race.
Article VII-Duties of the President
1. The President shall execute all duties imposed upon them at the time of the election.
2. The President shall enforce the By-Laws and that other Officers/Board members shall fulfill their duties correctly.
3. The President shall appoint special committees whenever necessary; however, they cannot appoint special committees that conflict with any standing committees.
4. The President shall call special meetings at his/her discretion.
5. The President will be responsible, or delegate the responsibility, for the member gifts.
6. The President shall be responsible for organizing the annual meeting.
Article VIII-Duties of Vice-President
1. In case of the President’s absence or inability to act, the Vice-President shall act in their stead.
2. The Vice-President shall be responsible for the planning of all WPBA programs.
3. The Vice-President shall be responsible for door prizes for the annual banquet.
Article IX-Duties of the Secretary
1. The Secretary shall conduct all correspondence of the WPBA.
2. The Secretary will produce one newsletter per year or delegate the responsibility to a member.
3. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings and charge of the notices of meetings. The Secretary will compile an agenda and distribute to the other officers prior to the annual meeting. The Secretary will be responsible for Thank You cards for sponsors and Awards to be awarded at the annual meeting. The Secretary will bring a signup sheet and member list to the annual meeting and be responsible for signing people in, determining who is eligible to vote, and determining how many meals are paid for by the WPBA.
4. The Secretary shall keep all records pertaining to his or her office. The Secretary will keep a list of current members.
5. The Secretary, at the conclusion of the term of office, shall turn over all records kept during the year to the newly elected successor.
Article X-Duties of the Treasurer
1. The Treasurer shall keep all money records of the WPBA and keep an accurate account of all expenses incurred and all monies received. The Treasurer will present a Treasurer’s report at the annual meeting. A motion passed on 10/27/12 to have majority of board approval for all WPBA expenditures.
2. The Treasurer will notify those members who are in arrears with payments of annual dues.
3. The Treasurer shall keep all receipts and books pertaining to the WPBA’s monies. A motion passed on October 9, 2011 to maintain a $1000 reserve in the WPBA checking account.
4. The Treasurer shall keep a standing inventory of all the WPBA’s assets and property.
5. The Treasurer shall collect all monies payable to the WPBA of which a complete and accurate account will remain in the WPBA’s checking account.
6. The Treasurer will maintain that all books and records of the WPBA shall be open at all times for inspection and examination by members.
7. The Treasurer, at the conclusion of the term of office, shall turn over to the newly elected successor, all monies, books, records, and any other property belonging to the WPBA, with the proper bookkeeping setup; with both the outgoing Treasurer and the newly elected Treasurer present and doing the checking.
8. The Treasurer will immediately notify the President of any shortages of money and or property. The President is to call a special meeting to report those shortages to the membership.
9. The Treasurer will renew the Colorado Periodic Report yearly. (Submitting a Periodic Report allows an entity to update the current name and address of its registered agent and its principal office address, which helps ensure current information is available to the public. Submitting the Periodic report also maintains the “Good Standing” of the entity with the Secretary of State.)
1. A checking account shall be established for use by the WPBA.
2. Other accounts may be established as deemed appropriate by the Officers/Board. In all cases, accounts will have at least two Officers/Board members with signatory authority.
3. Triple Crown winners will receive winnings via a check from the WPBA.
Article XII-Duties of the Media/Public Relations Officer (MPRO)
1. The MPRO shall be responsible for obtaining and distributing positive information about WPBA and its efforts to promote the WPBAs purpose.
2. The MPRO will announce all events hosted/sanctioned by the WPBA by sending out emails, and posting on Facebook and coordinating with the WPBA’s website manager.
3. The MPRO will be in charge of updating, posting, managing and responding to the Facebook sites of the WPBA (Pack Burro Racing, Colorado’s Summer Heritage Sport and Western Pack Burro Racing sites).
4. The MPRO shall contact/receive information from clubs, newspapers, radio, magazines, and other public media venues where the purpose of the WPBA may be included.
5. The MPRO will assist at all WPBA functions, or appoint a representative and let the WPBA know who that representative will be.
6. The MPRO is responsible for obtaining and maintaining sponsorships.
Article XIII-Triple Crown
1. All who wish to compete for the Triple Crown must become a WPBA member by paying membership dues prior to the beginning of the first race of the Triple Crown, historically the Fairplay race held the last weekend in July.
2. An individual must win the long courses at each of the Fairplay, Leadville, and Buena Vista races with the same burro.
3. There will be a male and female award available. The first male member across the finish line at each of the three races wins the male title and the first female across the finish line at each of the three races wins the female title.
4. Beginning with the last Triple Crown winners (Courkamp-male and Jones-female), a small metal plaque (approx. 2" x 3") denoting the Year, Runner's Name, and Burro's Name is added and affixed to the base of the Traveling Trophy. The WPBA will pay for and get the plaque placed on the trophy. When the plaque at the base of the trophy is full, the WPBA will add an additional base to the Traveling Trophy to accommodate future winners.
5. Each Triple Crown winner receives a framed certificate denoting their Title, the Year, Runner's Name, Burro's Name, the name of each Triple Crown race, and their finishing time.
6. The WPBA presents an award to both male and female winners each year there is a Triple Crown winner for $500.00 recognizing the commitment of the individual runner to the sport and its promotion as well as recognizing the excellence of the runner and his or her burro.
1. These By-Laws may be altered, amended, repealed, or added to by a majority affirmative vote at the annual meeting or by a majority of members at any time.
2. All propositions to alter or amend these By-Laws shall be submitted in writing, or email, each member receiving a copy of such proposed amendments, by mail, or email or posted to the WPBA’s website to be acted upon at the next regular meeting, or special meeting called by the President giving members a 30 day notice.
3. Proxy voting form shall be edited per year to be used in the calendar voting year:
These By-Laws approved (9/19/2020)
2019-2021 President Eric Lynn
2019-2021 Vice President Melanie Layton
2019-2021 Secretary Lisa Sandoval
2019-2021 Treasurer Joe Polonsky
2019-2021 MPRO Brad Wann
Western Pack Burro Association Proxy Form
I hereby authorize _________________________to serve as my proxy and to vote on
my behalf at the _________Annual Meeting to be held on _________.
This proxy is valid for:
__________All Matters voted on at the Meeting
__________Specific Issue/Matter (please explain):
A voting member wishing to vote at a special meeting or main meeting via proxy shall designate, and personally contact, a member from their voting interest whom the member wishes to exercise the proxy and must complete the proxy form in its entirety. Failure by the member to sign the form and complete all sections by hand will invalidate the proxy. The duly executed hand-written proxy shall be mailed, or e-mailed as a scanned attachment, by the voting member to the Secretary (Lisa Sandoval, 108 Rafferty Dr., Leadville, CO 80461), or hand delivered by the proxy holder to the President, Vice President, or Secretary prior to insert date here. The solicitation of proxies from voting members is prohibited and will not be accepted. No voting interest shall hold or exercise proxies for more than one voting member in a meeting. Your signature attests the above and will be strictly followed.